Are you just getting into knitting, or are you looking for a new knitting needle set? If so, I’ve got some of the best knitting needle sets on the market today to share with you!
Regardless of where you are in your knitting hobby or business, you want to work with a good quality set of knitting needles.
It can be super hard to find a set of needles when there are a plethora of options for you to look through.
But with so many amazing options and…less good options…what do you do?
Well, I’m here to help you out! This article will talk about some of the best knitting needles sets available today.
If you want a fantastic set of aluminum metal knitting needles, you can’t get much better than this product.
You get twelve different sizes of needles in different colors. And they come with a carrying pouch and additional knitting accessories.
I just love the knitting needles in this set! They are excellent quality, and the set is complete with everything you need for your new knitting projects.
- Engraved – Each of the needles has a mark on the top of the knitting needle so you can easily pick up the right needle for your project.
- Colors – The needles come in a variety of colors, so you will be able to easily spot your needles no matter what color your project is.
- Sizes – The set has twelve different sizes of needles, so you will have every size you need for your projects.
- Accessories – Included are a handful of accessories, so you get more than just quality knitting needles with this purchase!
- Material – The knitting needles in this kit are made from top-of-the-line aluminum, so your needles will last ages even if you use them daily.
- Pricey – Despite being excellent quality knitting needles (and under $25), they are a bit pricey in comparison other similar sets. This may not be your best product if you want something more budget-friendly.
If you need a good set of double-pointed needles, this product is for you.
These knitting needles are smooth, easy to use, and come in 11 sizes. There are 55 pieces in total, with 11 packages of 5 needles each of the same size.
If you knit products in the round (like gloves, sweaters, or baby socks), these are perfect for you!
- Sizes – This product comes with eleven different sizes of needles.
- Price – These knitting needles cost under $15, so you get a nice set of knitting needles that won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
- Material – The knitting needles in this kit are made from top-of-the-line stainless steel, so they maintain a nice weight while you work.
- Color – This product only comes in stainless steel, so it may be tough to see various gray yarns.
If you are a fan of using bamboo knitting needles, then this affordable set is going to suit you perfectly. Not only are the needles excellent quality, but they are also sold at a reasonable price.
You don’t get accessories with these single-point bamboo needles, but with 36 needles in 18 sizes under $10, they are worth it. I highly recommend them to anyone who likes to use bamboo needles!
- Price – This set of bamboo needles is reasonably priced at under $10 for 36 pieces.
- Material – The knitting needles in this kit are made from quality bamboo, which will last for ages – even if you use them every day.
- Sizes – This product comes with eighteen different-sized needles, so you can be sure that you will have every size you need.
- Smooth – These bamboo knitting needles are smooth and lightweight, and they don’t make the annoying clicking sound that metal needles make.
- Labeling – The needles have labels with the sizes on the center of the stick. This can make it hard to reference the size if you are working on something.
- Accessories – This kit is for needles only and does not come with any additional accessories. If you need a kit with accessories, this product may not suit your needs.
- Color – This product is for single-color bamboo needles. This can make it harder to discern the stitching using a similar-colored yarn.
If you enjoy knitting and crocheting, then this product is going to be exactly what you are looking for.
Priced under $30, this kit includes everything you need for knitting, crocheting, and even lace crochet hobbies! And it comes in a compact and protective storage case.
- Sizes – This product has eighteen different-sized knitting needles made from very smooth bamboo.
- Accessories – The kit has plenty of accessories, so you just need to supply the yarn!
- Options – If you like this product, you will have the option to pick from a series of different color case options.
- Material – The knitting needles in this kit are made from top-of-the-line bamboo, so your needles will last ages even if you use them daily.
- Storage Bag – This product comes with a zipped storage case so you can easily transport everything you need in one small and compact bag.
- Color – The knitting needles are bamboo so they do not come in a variety of colors.
- Labeling – This product is labeled with the sizes of the needles in the center of the stick. This may make it hard to reference the needle size if you are working on something.
If you are a fan of double-pointed stainless steel knitting needles, then you can’t go wrong with these simplistic double-pointed needles.
They come in eleven sizes, and you get five needles of each size in each pack, for a total of fifty-five needles!
These needles are for those who want just a plain set without accessories.
- Material – The knitting needles in this kit are made from quality stainless steel, which is durable and adds a nice weight when working.
- Short Double-Pointed Needles – This product comes with knitting needles that are short and double-pointed, which makes them perfect for various styles of knitting.
- Sizes – There are eleven different-sized needles, so you can be sure that you will have every size you need on hand with this purchase.
- Color – This product does not come in a variety of colors – just stainless steel. If you’re using gray yarn, it may be hard to see the stitching while working with these needles.
Let’s take a look at some of the features you will want to look out for when you are purchasing a set of knitting needles.
Let’s Talk About The Needle Tips
Before you purchase your first set of knitting needles, think about what you want to knit with them. Depending on what you will be knitting, you will use different needles for different items.
For example, if you are a fast knitter, then you may prefer needles made from metal.
If you like having more control over your work, then purchase a set of wooden knitting needles that will have more grip.
You may also find that a knitting needle set with shorter tips will work better for knitting socks and hats.
Longer knitting needles are easier on your wrists because you don’t have to hold them up so high while working.
Additionally, consider how sharp your knitting needles are. If you are knitting lace, then you use sharper needles because the stitches are so close together.
Blunt needle tips are better suited to yarn as they are less likely to split your yarn.
If you’re following a pattern, it should list the size knitting needle you need.
And if you aren’t sure what size needle to use? You can always purchase a set of interchangeable knitting needles that will suit your needs.
Let’s Talk About The Type Of Needle
Knitting needles can be made from different materials. The most common options are aluminum, plastic, bamboo, and stainless steel.
The style of the needle that you choose can matter regarding the output. For example, if you’re knitting baby socks or sweater sleeves, you may want to use double-pointed needles.
One thing to keep in mind is the fact that a wooden or bamboo needle are more lightweight. If you use a heavy yarn, they may end up splintering (see also ‘The Best Yarn For Knitting Blankets‘).
Because of this, using a metal needle or interchangeable cable connectors work better for larger projects like blankets or throws.
You can also swap needles as you require. For example, swapping an aluminum needle for a bamboo needle simultaneously will work well.
What About Interchangeable Cable Connectors
If you want to make blankets or large bulky sweaters, you want your stitch space to be bigger. This is where interchangeable cable connectors come in handy.
These needle kits are genius, albeit pricey! Just select the size needles for your project and connect them to cables.
The cables are linked together using a pin tool, and the yarn slides over the cables. This is so you can knit wider projects. The wider the project, the more cables you can use!
Let’s Talk About The Color
The color of your needles may seem like an arbitrary thing to consider. But having colorful knitting needles can be extremely helpful and make it easier for you to spot where they are.
Anyone who knits knows how hard it is to find a dark needle against a dark yarn project!
So, when knitting, try to use a contrasting color needles to the yarn you are using. This is bound to save you some time and strife when knitting!
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of commonly asked questions when it comes to what types of knitting needles to choose for projects.
Does The Needle Size Matter For The Project You Are Working On?
Yes, it does matter what size your knitting needles are. How large or small your knitting needles are will affect the size of the project you are working on.
For example, if you are working on a small and intricate pair of gloves, then you are going to need a set of smaller needles than you will need for a thick blanket.
Are Interchangeable Needles Better Than Normal Circular Needles?
If you have used circular needles before, you know the needles and cable can limit the size of the project you are working on.
If you use interchangeable needles, then you will have more flexibility when it comes to the size of your project. This is because the cables can connect, which allows more stitches at one time.
Are Bamboo Needles Or Metal Knitting Needles Better?
Most people find that bamboo needles are easier to use than metal needles or other varieties of wood.
This is because with bamboo knitting needles, the stitches are less likely to slip.
Knitting needles made of wood are also a good choice for anyone looking for a needle that is slicker than bamboo but doesn’t want the click-clack sound of metal needles.
Is Knitting Or Crocheting Easier?
If you are crocheting, then you are going to use a single hook which will hook and loop the yarn together to become one intricate piece.
Many people think crocheting is easier than knitting because the tools and techniques are more manageable.
So if you think you might want to try this kind of hobby, then by all means, start by crocheting first (see also ‘How To Start A Crochet Business‘). All you need is a crochet hook and some yarn!
Why Is Knitting So Hard?
Knitting can be more difficult to learn because this hobby uses a whole group of fine muscles, which takes some coordination.
On top of that, you need to be patient, focused, and perseverant.
Don’t worry if you cannot get the hang of knitting easily and quickly – it takes a lot of practice!
Over time, you will gain the dexterity and skills to knit with the best of them.
How Do You Make Money Knitting?
There are quite a few ways for you to make money with knitting. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Start a knitting blog to show off your projects and knitting skills
- Write a knitting book
- Create patterns to sell online (learn how to set up an Etsy shop here)
- Start a YouTube channel
- Make money as a knitting influencer
- Sell photos of your knitting
- Sell your knits online or in consignment stores
I hope you have enjoyed checking out these amazing knitting needle sets and learning more about the different types of needles.
Remember, there are plenty of amazing options online for you to check out if you want to learn this amazing and relaxing hobby.
Just keep practicing, and when you feel your products are the quality you’d like to buy yourself, think about opening an online shop to sell them.
After all, you can turn this wonderful hobby into a business if you desire. You can read how to do it here!